Entrepreneurial individual with a proven ability to effect positive change, seeks employment in a progressive educational setting.
Technical Skills – Proficient in: Mac OS X, MS Windows, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, CSS, Final Cut, Google Web Applications, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Moodle, Sakai, Elgg, Elluminate Live!, Big Blue Button, ScreenFlow, Camtasia, A/V Production Hardware.
Experience in: PHP, ASP.NET, ActionScript, SQL, HA Network Infrastructure, Systems Administration, IS Contingency Planning.
Soft Skills – Excellent verbal and written communication; patient and empathic technical trainer, with ability to establish rapport among diverse stakeholders; capacity to recognize and foresee the complex interplay of policy, practice, and technological implementation; accomplished musician and A/V production engineer.
Assistant Director, Office of Distance Learning, University of Florida College of Education, March, 2011 – Present
Manage instructional support staff and consult with application development teams on software as a service (SaaS) contract ventures. Highlight – Oversight of a social learning system serving more than 2,500 daily users.
- Instructional Support – Manage a team of 6 instructional support staff, serving students, faculty, staff, and administrators in a college-wide online learning initiative. Consult with academic departments on development of new online degree and certificate programs.
- Operations Development – Consult with web development staff and instructional design teams on the delivery of new social learning SaaS ventures to external clients, including the Association for Workforce Innovation, Florida DoE, and SmartStart, NC.
Learning Systems Architect, University of Florida College of Education, Office of Distance Learning, Gainesville, FL, August, 2009 – February, 2011
Develop systems and processes for delivering innovative learning in fully online and hybrid environments.
- Software Design – Design, develop, and implement a best-of-breed, open source learning environment, seamlessly integrating online tools for formal and informal learning into a single user interface. The social learning system, Purlieu, combines features of Moodle, Elgg, WordPress, and Kaltura into a unified user experience with embedded electronic portfolio tools. Highlight – Purlieu was presented at the 2010 International Open Ed Conference in Barcelona, and the Mozilla Drumbeat Festival.
- Information Architecture – Develop and maintain an architectural plan to integrate marketing and instructional content for the COE web presence. Employ industry-current search engine (SEO) and social media optimization (SMO) strategies. Analyze and produce executive reports using Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools. Highlight – Managed a complete re-design of the College web portal during a 3 month period, resulting in a 350% increase in overall traffic to the site, and a streamlined content management plan.
Co-Founder and Co-Owner, Green Collar Solutions, LLC, Gainesville, FL, September, 2008 – Present
Design and develop learning content and systems for individuals seeking career-track opportunities in sustainable industries. Green Collar Solutions – Tomorrow. Today.
- Instructional Design – Generate instructional content and curricula for subject matter experts in green technology industries. Conduct train-the-trainer consultation with field instructors. Highlight – Managed implementation of an online Greenhouse Gas Accounting course, in conjunction with Carbon Solutions and the US Green Building Council.
- Instructional Technology – Host, administer, and develop Moodle Software as a Service (SaaS) offering for institutions delivering continuing education courses in sustainable industries.
Instructional Technology Expert, University of Florida College of Education, Office of Distance Education, Gainesville, FL, February, 2007 – August, 2009
Provided Instructional Design and Technology support for a rapidly growing eLearning initiative, serving over 1500 active users in 100 online graduate courses and degree programs.
- Instructional Design – Rapidly developed, implemented and evaluated graduate courses and grant collaboration sites for faculty, students, and staff using various eLearning and Web 2.0 technologies. Conducted live individual training and workshops for university faculty and staff related to course design and technological innovation. Highlight – Designed and developed technical training portal, resulting in a 45% decrease in technical support requests per user.
- Instructional Support – Coordinated technical support team in delivering support and training in non-technical language to diverse stakeholders. Consulted with hardware, software, and service vendors in order to recommend high-value solutions to college administration. Highlight – Researched and implemented a college-wide migration to an outsourced Learning Management System (LMS) hosting environment dramatically reducing down-time and cost to the college.
- Web/Graphic Design – Designed and maintained the college’s distance education marketing/informational site. Branded, developed, and administered the college’s Moodle installation. Highlight – Implemented and evaluated a complete re-design of the UF COE Online LMS portal, using standards-compliant HTML, CSS, and PHP.
Educational Media Coordinator, University of Florida Health Science Center, Information Security Program, Gainesville, FL, January, 2006 – February, 2007
Coordinated end-user security awareness training opportunities for a health science center with more than 12 thousand constituents.
- Instructional Design – Developed print and web-based IS training materials for diverse, non-technical end-users. Designed and delivered workshop materials for IS Managers and Administrators focused on industry-current best-practices. Assisted in the development of HSC IS policies and standards. Highlight – Designed and implemented IS Awareness compliance training for 12,000 HSC faculty, students, clinicians, and researchers.
- Web/Graphic Design – Developed and branded the SPICE (Security Program for the Information and Computing Environment) awareness campaign. Designed and maintained the program’s website, utilizing role-based navigation and secure login procedures. Highlight – Designed a one-page computer security guide for nontechnical audiences.
Co-Founder and Co-Owner, High Noon Pictures, Gainesville, FL February, 2003 – December, 2005
- Participated in all facets of concept design, financial and organizational planning, management, marketing, client and vendor relations, and digital media production. Focused specifically on sound design, web design, information design, and client relations. Highlight – Produced the first-ever documentary on the indigenous Garifuna people in North-Eastern Honduras, Men en Mañali.
- University of Florida – Doctoral Work, Educational Technology, Specialization in Multimedia Production for 21st Century Learning. August, 2008 – December, 2009
- University of Florida — M.A.E. Educational Technology, Specialization in Distance Teaching and Learning. August, 2006 – August, 2008
- University of Florida — B.A. English with Honors, Specialization in Film & Media Studies. August, 1999 – December, 2002
- Winter Park HS – International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Winter Park, FL. May, 1999
John Donaldson, M.Ed, Associate Director of Information Technology, UF COE
Doug Johnson, PhD, Manager – Learning Support Services, UF AT
Colleen Ebel, MBA, Director of Systems Development, UF HA-IS VP
Randy Graff, PhD, Assistant Director of Education, UF VPHA
Kara Dawson, PhD, Associate Professor of Educational Technology, UF COE
Baird Whelan, M.Ed., Co-Founder and Co-Owner, Green Collar Solutions
Chris Sessums, PhD, Lecturer, UF COE