Tag Archives: caffeine

final cuts

Well, after about a 6 weeks of work, I finally was able to get a rough cut together of my little video, ‘Information: the new Ritalin.’ It took quite a bit of post-production wrangling to get it in to a watchable state. But I am happy with the way things eventually turned out.

I’m still amazed how much more work it took to get live video in HD1080i60 in the same sequence as computer screen capture in HD1080p30. Let’s just say there was a lot of math and garbage matte layering involved, and leave it at that.

However, I got some really positive feedback and I am in a good position to tighten up what I have now into a solid final cut. I would like to be able to post a clip, but I don’t really know how I would do that. The video is in 1920X1080 resolution, and a lot of it is in an even wider aspect ratio (something like 2.5:1), making it pretty unfit for streaming on even the fastest connections and/or viewing on anything less than a nice LCD or HD display.

It was also tough getting the dialogic screen capture text readable from more than about 2 feet from a screen. I plan to keep cracking at it, but I’m not really sure I have the technical chops to “make it go.”

All in all, working in video again was a really satisfying experience and I’m glad the audience who has seen it found it mildly thought-provoking. That’s about all I was aspiring toward.


post-production party

A few days ago I finished production on the video I have been working on. I plunged headlong into the post-production phase on Wednesday. It’s definitely bringing back some memories. I’m really excited about digging in with a digital razor.

Thus far I have encountered the requisite issues inherent in using cracked software to accomplish a task I haven’t attempted in almost 2 years. I was admittedly nervous about working in Final Cut Pro for the first time in a goodly while. But once I was able to open and update the app, the controls quickly started feeling comfortable again.

I have about 3 hours of HD video between the live action stuff shot by my friends at HNP and the screen captures I have done over the past few weeks. The goal is to cut it down to around 3 minutes. The more I look at it, the longer I think it will take to fit everything in coherently. I have developed a plan of attack for the early stages of the editing process. But I’m really nervous about pulling off the split screen narrative thing. The narrative will be driven primarily by the “dialog” portrayed in the screen capture portion, and the video will depict me acting as something of a Greek Chorus, gaping at the strange goings-on.

Let’s call it an experiment in my ability to depict a Human Computer Interaction…quite literally.